DRONES KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE
VIGIL AGAINST THE DRONES
OUTSIDE THE GATES OF VOLK FIELD
TUESDAY JULY 26, 2022 3:30-4:30 pm
We need YOU there
Truthout published an article, “Missing Pieces: The Human Impact of Drone Strikes” which examines the way in which mainstream media may report on certain aspects of drone strikes, such discussing that there is no oversight on drone strikes and that they are increasing under Trump, but the mainstream media fails to give us a real understanding of what happens to the many thousands of people who are affected by drone strikes in the Middle East and in Africa. Though this article was written in 2019, it is as true today as it was then, whether drones are used by the US military or in the war between Russia and Ukraine. The author states that, “If people knew the details of what happens to bodies when they are hit by missiles, more people might protest war and advocate for peace.”
The article goes on to talk about independent organizations like the Bureau for Investigative Journalism, which attempts to count deaths by drones and conservatively estimates that almost 4,000 people have been killed in Afghanistan and over 1,000 in Yemen, but the actual death toll should really be doubled because of the difficulty in confirming the deaths. And even more deaths when you consider that there are several other countries where drone strikes are prevalent. It is also thought that less than 4% of the deaths by drones kill terrorists and the other 96% killed are innocent children, women, and men.
And though these statistics are important, it is even more important to really understand what happens to these innocent people who are killed by US drones. Please read the whole article to understand the devastation we are bringing to our brothers and sisters across the globe.
WE MUST CONTINUE TO VIGIL TO BRING THIS TERROR THAT THE US GOVERNMENT REIGNS DOWN ON OTHERS TO AN END!
The vigil at Volk Field is a legal vigil where we will be on public property. As always, it will be a solemn vigil, remembering the victims of US government drone attacks.
DIRECTIONS – To get to the vigil, take the Camp Douglas exit off Interstate 90/94 between Mauston and Tomah. When you exit take County Rd. C to the northeast. You will see the base straight ahead, but follow County Rd. C to the right and within a few blocks is a picnic wayside where you can park. The wayside is now open for the summer and we can park in the wayside parking lot. There are restrooms available.
THE VIGIL – We will gather at the wayside between 3:00-3:15 for introductions and to review the plan for the vigil, and then process together to the gates of the base where we will hold a solemn vigil for one hour to remember those killed by drones. Participants can stand in silence or read poems and stories about the effects of drone warfare. It is important that the voices of the victims be brought to the gates of Volk Field.
Bring posters if you can.
A WORD ABOUT THE WEATHER – If you have questions about the vigil because of the weather, please make sure to call
- Joy at 608 239-4327 or
- Bonnie at 608-256-5088
- for an update.
CARPOOLING – If you are interested in carpooling to Volk Field from Madison, please contact Bonnie at 608-256-5088.
We hope to see you at the vigil on July 26. If you can’t come this time, mark your calendar. We usually vigil on the 4th Tuesday of every month. If you have any questions please call or email Joy at 608 239-4327 or [email protected] or Bonnie at 608-256-5088 or [email protected] .
Joy and Bonnie
Wisconsin Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars